Drivers can refill on hand sanitizer at designated locations
“Our focus is on ensuring drivers have the supplies they need to stay safe and healthy on the road,” said ATA's Elisabeth Barna. “And these refill stations are a part of a broader effort to increase the supply of PPE throughout the freight network.”
As truck drivers continue serving on the front lines during the COVID-19 crisis, American Trucking Associations has partnered with Protective Insurance Company to expand the availability and supply of hand sanitizer to truckers along major U.S. freight corridors. ATA and member-company ABF Freight are hauling 10 55-gallon drums of hand sanitizer, purchased by Protective Insurance, for distribution in eight states, where drivers will be able to refill their personal supplies at no cost.
Drivers will have access to refills at the following locations:
- Alabama: Scale House on I-20E in Heflin
- Colorado: Travel Centers of America on 5101 Quebec St. in Commerce City
- Indiana: Stoops Freightliner-Quality Trailer on 1851 West, Thompson Road in Indianapolis
- Iowa: Iowa 80 Truckstop Fuel Center on 390 W Iowa 80 Road in Walcott
- Ohio: Jet Express on 4518 Webster Street in Dayton
- Pennsylvania: Sideling Hill Rest Stop on PA Turnpike Milepost 172.4 East & West Bound in Waterfall
- New Jersey: Molly Pitcher Rest Area on Exit 8A NJ Turnpike
- Texas: Loves Travel Center #719 on 1610 Cotton Gin Road in Troy, Texas and Pilot Flying J #726 I-20, Exit 472 on 7425 Bonnie View Road in Dallas
“Crossing the bridge from crisis to recovery hinges on the integrity of our supply chain and its ability to keep moving,” said Chris Spear, ATA president and CEO. “Protecting America’s truck drivers and ensuring they can stay safe and healthy while on the road, is paramount. While we continue to work with federal agencies on the strategic distribution of PPE, we’re also taking our own initiative—partnering with industry allies—to build supply networks for drivers to tap into.”
Photo: American Trucking Associations
Drums are now in place at locations in Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New Jersey, with the remaining load in transit for delivery this week. Announcements will be made on ATA’s COVID-19 Update Hub as deliveries happen and each refill station becomes available.
“As drivers remain behind the wheel, delivering the essentials of life around the country, travel centers, truck stops and distribution centers remain open to support these drivers. Helping supply sanitizer to keep everyone healthy and safe is one small way we can support the transportation industry and say thank you for everything you’re doing,” said Jeremy Johnson, CEO of Protective Insurance.